With the holidays and cold temperatures setting in across the country, I thought it was time to share one of my favorite holiday winter drinks from Germany. Glühwein, a mulled wine, is certainly unique, but not necessarily an acquired taste. Perfect for warming you up on any cold day and is extremely simple to prepare.
Glutton Glühwein Ingredients:
One bottle of Old Vine Grenache (750ml)
1 vanilla bean pod- sliced open (optional)
4 sticks of cinnamon
1 tsp of ground nutmeg
4 tbls of honey
2 tbls of sugar
3 orange slices
1 oz of rum (optional)
- For best results use a crockpot, but a medium sized pot on the stovetop will work just fine.
- Concerning the wine selection, I have found that Old Vine Grenache works best, but you can certainly use any red wine. I recommend using bottles priced between $10-20. Using high end bottles of wine is a waste and using the really cheap stuff is the equivalent to beating your head with a frying pan.
- Pour wine into the crockpot and set temperature on low.
- Mix all the ingredients together in the pot and stir until honey and sugar are dissolved.
- Warm the Glühwein for the at least 30 minutes. Be sure to avoid boiling.
Serve in your mug of choice along with a fresh orange slice.