The Sandlot: As it stands today

Mar 30, 2011 69 Comments

*Because of this post’s popularity, we have published a new article that revisits The Sandlot filming locations and includes new/additional images.  Click here to read: Revisiting the Sandlot: As it Stands Today.

Signifying the start of spring, Baseball’s Opening Day marks one of the more perfect times of the year.  It’s a time when temperatures are warming up and baseball happily injects life into a sporting world which is stuck in the NFL’s off-season mode, as well as the misery of the NBA and NHL’s drawn out regular seasons.  It’s also the time of year when I enjoy nothing more than to sit down and prepare for the baseball season by watching movies such as Field of Dreams, Bull Durham, The Sandlot, and The Natural.

Motivated by Thalia Bardell’s article at howiGit.com I decided to watch The Sandlot first this year.  However, the movie had a much different feel for me than in years past, since it was filmed entirely in the state of Utah and I’m currently a resident of Salt Lake City. Watching the movie and knowing that was filmed in my own backyard, simply made The Sandlot that much better this year.  Unfortunately, being a newer resident of SLC I have never actually seen Smalls and Benny’s neighborhood, Vincent Drug store, or even The Sandlot itself.

Thus I set out on a quest to visit all the filming locations and see what they look like a little less than 20 years after The Sandlot was made.  Here is what I found…

Smalls and Benny’s houses are located in a quite neighborhood on the eastside of Salt Lake City at the corner of Bryan Ave and 2000 E (Google Maps).  Unfortunately, I didn’t witness a white dressed milkman making any deliveries.

The Sandlot Movie Locations 008

• Gone is the 1950′s pink exterior of Smalls’ house

The Sandlot Movie Locations 014

• “Benny the Jet” Rodriguez’s house

The Sandlot itself is located in the Glendale area of Salt Lake City, about 6 miles west of the kids’ homes (Google Maps).  Driving past the privately owned field, The Sandlot is unrecognizable as the sacred place where Ham, Squints, Smalls, Yeah Yeah, The Jet and the others played baseball in its most purest form.  There is discussion by the Utah Film Commission to remake the baseball field in honor of the film’s 20 anniversary in 2013.

The Sandlot Movie Locations 045

• The Sandlot as it stands today

12 miles south of The Sandlot in Midvale, is Vincent Drug where the boys purchased new baseballs, etc. (Google Maps)  Sadly, the drug store has closed its doors and the nostalgic sign is all that remains.

The Sandlot Movie Locations 065

• Vincent Drugs: Located in downtown Midvale, UT

Of course when it was too hot to play ball at The Sandlot the young lads preferred to “scam pool honeys” at Lorin Farr Park Pool in Ogden, UT. (Google Maps)  Wendy Peffercorn might not be on lifeguard duty anymore, but the pool is still a popular summer time hang out.

The Sandlot Movie Locations 062

• Squints’ view of Wendy Peffercorn after getting kicked out of the pool.

The challenge between the Sandlot kids and the “rich” kids took place at the Rose Park Little League field about 4 miles north of the actual Sandlot. (Google Maps)

The Sandlot Movie Locations 038

• Rose Park Little League field where Porter was “just trying to have a friendly conversation.”

A limited number of the amusement park rides where the post game victory celebration and up-chucking of Big Chief chaw took place are still available at Liberty Park . Click here for an image.

Baseball, Sports, Travel Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

69 Responses to “The Sandlot: As it stands today”

1. Thalia says:

This is so neat – the Sandlot has got to be one of my favorite movies ever, not just in terms of sports. I’m glad I could contribute with a little writer’s inspiration.

2. Bobby Charts says:

awesome stuff man, i love this movie and no joke im 34 years old and i try to watch it once a year. love it. great work and this is one of my favorite posts i have ever read!!! thanks for the work.

• sportsglutton says:

Thanks my friend! It was fun to drive around, find the locations and see what they look like now. I do hope that they are able to rebuild the Sandlot some day, because it would be an attraction for thhe city…possibly like Field of Dreams.

3. Patrick says:

Great info. I am headed out to Utah on 8/4 and am using your page to help me find the locations of one of the best movies ever. Just wanted to find out how you got the info on the locations and if they are 100% accurate. I have been told by the Utah film commission that the pool scene was done in American Fork, UT.

• sportsglutton says:

Glad you enjoyed the post Patrick. The original information for the locations where the movie was filmed came from the Salt Lake City Tribune. I then visited each location and took the images above. The locations are 100% accurate and the Utah film commision is incorrect that the pool scene was filmed in American Fork, UT. The pool is in Ogden, UT. Use the link I provided to Google Maps and the street view function to confirm the location.

Have a safe trip and I hope you enjoy visiting the Sandlot locations!

4. Patrick says:

The Utah Film Commission got back to me and did admit that they had provided inaccurate information regarding the pool and that it is indeed in Ogden. Regarding the actual “Sandlot”, from the Goole street view, is it behind those houses?

• sportsglutton says:

The field is indeed between two houses and is partially fenced off. It is private property though. As you can see from the photo the field isn’t in the best shape. Cheers!

• Andy says:

Here’s an interview with the director:
        Everything you see was man-made—even the big oak tree.
        “We found a big empty piece of land in a lower-middle-class neighborhood outside Salt Lake City, where the movie was shot, and constructed all the significant sets: the backstop, dirt, grass, trees, fences, Mr. Mertle’s house, the Timmonses’ house, both backyards. But there was no giant oak tree in which to build a treehouse. [Production designer] Chester Kaczenski and I were getting panicked, because we did not have a lot of money to make the movie. We were looking at having to buy an oak tree, and a specimen that big, if you can even find one, is hundreds of thousands of dollars.

5. Michelle says:

Great article, you settled a bet for me! I also love this movie. I believe the amusement park you are referring to is the City Of Fun carnival, it’s a moving carnival, so it goes from city to city in the summer. I grew up going to it, love seeing it in the movie.

6. Sam's Sports Brief says:

How awesome! This is one of my favorite movies of all time–although they killed it with the sequel. Good work!

7. thoughtsappear says:

I love this movie, and I haven’t seen it in for-ev-er. Or about a year. I’ll have to watch it smore. =)

8. Maxx says:

Wow… thank you for the info. I had no idea one of my favorite films was shot where I grew up.

9. kathryningrid says:

Well. I’d never known I *needed* to see The Sandlot! But this makes me want to see it now. And that’s from a completely sports-talentless, limited understanding-of-it-all person. Nicely done! :)

10. brad wright says:

This makes me want to take a trip to Utah! I’m actually watching it right now. Someday I shall see it. Thanks! Baseball = Love

11. girlinafoodfrenzy says:

Being from Australia I’m not familiar with baseball culture. Ivenever seen this film The Sandlot but reading through your journey of the movie locations certainly made me feel as though I was there! Amazing descriptions and narrative of the story, thank you!

12. Nick Kinn says:

This post is my favorite of all time. I’m from chicago and I grew up watching the sandlot and it is one od my favorite movies of all time. I’m visiting my buddy up in Ogden and he mentioned part of the sandlot was filmed in Utah. I decided I wanna see the sandlot and this post is going to make it a whole lot easier thanks!

13. Megan says:

I absolutely love this movie and I’ve been wanting my dad and I to visit the places where they filmed The Sandlot! Thanks for the info. and I’ll hopefully get to the places. I probably watch this movie every month!! haha luv it!! lol

14. thinman says:

Cool. The Sandlot is in my Netflix cue and I planned to watch it soon. First time in 20 years for me, first time ever for my kids.

15. djpostl says:

Reblogged this on You're Killin' Me, Smalls! and commented:
    Haha, I love it! Thanks for steering my towards it =P

16. Nikkita says:

Never realized I had been hanging out at the places the movie was filmed! Thanks for all the info! I will have to go back to Utah now that I know those are famous places! Sandlot was one of my favorite movies growing up!

17. JohnStatz.com says:

[...] to Moab the next day, but first, I do have one serious Ogden regret. I didn’t get to visit The Sandlot. I think every boy who grew up in the nineties would list this as one of their favorite movies of [...]

18. Gina says:

This is AWESOME!!!! My favorite movie as a kid. Must have seen it 100 times. Great post!

19. Trina says:

Love this movie and love your post. I grew up going to the pool at lorin farr park. I wish they really would remake the field. That would be awesome. thanks for your research.

How cool to have grown up swimming at Lorin Farr! And I to wish that they would remake the Sandlot field…could be such a draw for SLC.

20. Joan McDonald says:

Watching this for what seems like the zillioneth time, with my now 26 year old son and my 7 year old grandson(my daughters son). I could practically quote each part of each scene. Love it.
    Just Joan from Arkansas

21. vanessa says:

watching the sandlot has made me realized that back then kids used to play baseball all the time and and other thing with their friend.but what i still cant believe is that part of the movie was filmed here at lorin farr were i go swimming with my friends it just makes me so happy.i know that im only 15 but i really wish things could be like wen the filmed the sandlot and i think they should gather all the people that were in that movie and make another one to see how much they had changed over these past years i love that movie and i like all the info about it. :)

Life was certainly simple back then and I can’t think of a better way to spend the summer than the way the kids of the Sandlot did. :-)

22. mercedes says:

do you know if they are going to make another sandlot along with the rebuild of it? that would be amazing.

I’m unaware of any plans to make another Sandlot film, but I do know that there are people pushing to rebuild the field in its original location…something I hope that happens.

23. Revisiting The Sandlot: As it Stands Today | sportsglutton says:

[...] inter-wide web for information on and images of the filming locations for the movie.  My article “The Sandlot As it Stands Today” has been liked over 170 times on Facebook, credited as the informational source on the film’s [...]

24. See What the Sandlot From ‘The Sandlot’ Looks Like Today | Cheyennesquare.com says:

[...] some shots to share with the world. Here’s what the titular lot currently looks like. You can find the rest of the pics here. [...]

25. See What the Sandlot From ‘The Sandlot’ Looks Like Today says:

26. See What the Sandlot From ‘The Sandlot’ Looks Like Today | Today's Hottest Jamz says:

27. See What the Sandlot From ‘The Sandlot’ Looks Like Today - Classic Country 1280 KSLI says:

28. See What the Sandlot From ‘The Sandlot’ Looks Like Today | Flint's Best Mix says:

29. The Mom Chef ~ Taking on Magazines One Recipe at a Time says:

I missed this the first time around so I’m glad you reposed it. I think I had a silly grin on my face the whole way through. That movie does that to you anyhow; this just made it bigger.

30. See What the Sandlot From ‘The Sandlot’ Looks Like Today - NewsTalk 1490 WOMI-AM says:

31. AlanPale936 says:

I told my 3yr old daughter about the sandlot one night, the next
    day she basiclly begged and dragged me to 5 different stores to
    find the movie. That was a month ago, she watches the movie
    atleast 3 times a day….now she knows it word by word!…her favorite line is “you play ball like a girl”..(cracks her up)…oh she says
    Benny is her boyfriend. (haha) ….its been my favorite movie ever since i could remember, and without a doubt its hers now. We are most definitely having a road trip to Utah on December. Thanks for all the info!

32. Doug Smith says:

I was the crane operator that hoisted the bathtub of water over the fence to the Beast. I still have the crane that was used. It’s the black and white scenes in the film. I’d be interested if there is a celebration.

How very cool to have been part of the movie and still have a piece of memorabilia. I do hope that people are able to come together and recreate the Sandlot at the original site. Would be a great tourist attraction for the area.

Thanks for the comment!

33. Andrea says:

I wanna visit Utah and see the places of where they filmed this movie! I’ve loved this movie since I was little and you just inspired me! Great post!

34. T says:

Im in my sixth year coaching for Rose Park Little League Baseball. My son has literally played and practiced on the same field that the “Sandlot kids” whooped up on the “rich kids” 100 or more times. I even played my little league baseball in the same park back in the late 70s.

35. Love the Sandlot says:

Can we ask Doug Smith where it was that the scenes were filmed for the beast and Mr. Mertle? This is a fantastic post, I appreciate your time putting this together. Gonna take my kids on a mini road trip to see these spots later this summer!

36. David P says:

Just a slight correction. I grew up a massive fan of this movie and moved to Utah for college and did a lot of the same research. Everything I have ever read and seen puts the fair/carnival that they celebrate at in American Fork, UT. There is an annual city celebration called “Steel Days” there and a lot of the same rides are still at the fair on those summer nights.

Here is one reference ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108037/locations?ref_=tt_dt_dt)

Everything else was great. Thanks for the read.

My original source for Liberty Park being the location for the fair/carnival scene came from the Salt Lake Tribune and the scene’s settings seem to agree with Liberty being the location. However, looking at the street view of Robinson Park it does seem plausible, as you suggest, the location for the scene was in downtown American Fork.

I’d like everything to be 100% accurate, so I would be most appreciative it if you could send me some of the additional references you have compiled so that I can verify things before making any corrections (IMDB and even the Utah Film Commission have been known to be inaccurate).

Glad you enjoyed the post and many thanks for you comment.

Cheers!

37. J.C Hackett says:

Congrats on your very good work on this article! My kids (now in their 30s) were extras in Sandlot… I have been hearing rumors of a Sandlot Reunion in Utah. If you have any information on this, I would appreciate any that you may have. I produce Classic Car Shows and provided many cars for the Sandlot Movie. It would be great to have a classic car show along with the Sand lot reunion. Please pass along any information you may have…. Thanks … J.C Hackett Oldies Radio AM1060 Salt Lake City, UTah

38. Aidan says:

Hey! Me as a kid I was really curious where it was. thanks a lot :)

39. Christel says:

I’m really enjoying the design and layout of your blog.
    It’s a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more enjoyable for
    me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a designer to
    create your theme? Exceptional work!

Feel free to visit my webpage – Christel

40. wsj.com says:

An ordinary salary close tto $120,000 with benefits could
    be expected for anyone whho are excellent and noticed.

You can succeed in sales marketing jobs by following several steps.

I topd myself I examine get emotional today.

Check out my site wsj.com

41. personal financial planning says:

Let’s fin out about quite a few natural hunger busters that foster weight loss.
    I should bring that this applies to beginners with higher stages
    of bodyfat merely. In fact, you are able to lose fat and gain health having said
    that.

My weblog – personal financial planning

42. Michael manis says:

What you have to understand is that in reality HYIP influences same mould as betting.
    If you are unaware in the path ahead, you should always put a tentaative
    foot ahead.

my web page – Michael manis

43. benny says:

sandlot is the best moive

44. Sandlot 2 says:

Maxx you are lucky:-)

45. Sandlot 2 says:

Maxx you are lucky:-):-):-)