The NFL recipe series takes a slight twist today with the Green Bay Packers and a recipe for Fried Jalapeno Cheese Curds. My first experience with cheese curds was in La Crosse, Wisconsin and while I can’t say that I became an instant fan, I was definitely intrigued by this usual food. Therefore, when it came to putting together a recipe for a team from cheese country and with cheesehead fans, cheese curds came to mind.
The recipe that follows can perhaps be best described as a jalapeno like popper using cheese curds. It’s insanely easy and surprisingly results in making a salty cheese curd into a savory food. A perfect appetizer for parties or while watching the game. (Warning: don’t substitute bacon for the jalapeno as this will produce a small sodium bomb…I learned the hard way).
Be sure to check back in tomorrow for the continuation of our NFL recipe series with the Detroit Lions and a recipe for a soul food favorite.
- 1/2 bag of plain cheese curds (4 oz or so)
- 1/2 cup of plain bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup of roasted jalapeno peppers (finely diced)
- 1-2 eggs
- vegetable oil
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- In a small bowl mix the bread crumbs, jalapeno peppers, and black pepper together.
- In a separate small bowl beat your egg(s).
- One cheese curd at a time, dip the curds in the beaten egg(s), and then gently roll them through the bread crumb mixture, making sure that the entire curd is covered. Set aside.
- Pre heat a frying pan to medium, with enough vegetable oil into the pan so that it covers the entire surface.
- Place the crusted curds into the frying pan. Rotate the curds so that they cooked/fry evenly on all side.
- Remove for the pan, plate, and serve.
Copyright © sports-glutton.com, 2010-2011. All Rights Reserved. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from sports-glutton.com is strictly prohibited.