Sometimes in life the simplest things can be the most satisfying. Case in point a Cuban sandwich. Two different pork meats, pickles, and cheese, all surrounded by toasted buttery breaded goodness. Honestly its one of those sandwiches that if you have all the ingredients on hand, there really isn’t a good reason not to make it.
So representing the Miami Dolphins as part of our NFL Recipe Series is our gluttonous rendition of this Cuban/Miami classic. The slight non-traditional variations we made to the sandwich were using a French baguette instead of Cuban bread, the use of a sharp/spicy German mustard (because it’s good), and using the left over smoked pork shoulder from the Carolina Panthers Pull Pork recipe instead of oven roasted pork (uuummm smoke).
Be sure to check back in tomorrow for the continuation of our NFL Recipe Series with the Buffalo Bills and a twist on the epic football/bar food favorite from the city.
- Fresh french baguette (or Cuban bread)
- Smoked pork shoulder (sliced…click here for a recipe)
- Ham slices
- Swiss cheese slices
- Dill pickle slices
- German sharp/spicy mustard (I prefer to use Thomy’s Scharfer Senf)
- One brick wrapped in aluminium foil
- Slice your baguette open. Butter one side of the bread and spread mustard on the other.
- Construct a layer of dill pickles.
- Next a layer of smoked pork shoulder.
- More pork? Why yes please…add as many ham slices as needed.
- Top it all off with swiss cheese, close the sandwich, and you’re half why to the finish line.
- Butter one side of the sandwich.
- Preheat a frying pan to medium heat.
- Now for the fun part…Set the sandwich in the pan and place your “foiled” brick on top of the sandwich (if you don’t have a brick to wrap in foil, you can use another frying pan on top, pressing down with your hand to create the same weight).
- Cook until the bottom is browned. Flip the sandwich over, weight it down with the brick, and brown.
- Remove the sandwich from the pan, slice in half, and serve.
Copyright © sports-glutton.com, 2010-2011. All Rights Reserved. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from sports-glutton.com is strictly prohibited.