Buffalo Bills: Buffalo Chicken Wing Soup Recipe

Aug 31, 2011 25 Comments

buffalo-bills-buffalo-chicken-wing-soup-recipe-11

Buffalo is the home of the Bills and of course that ultimate pregame appetizer…Buffalo Chicken Wings.  While I enjoy a good wing as much as the next guy, I more interested in something different or alternative than wings for this part of our NFL Recipe Series.  Thus, after doing a little research I discovered that there are numerous restaurants in Buffalo that have turned the All-American classic wing into a soup.

That’s right…everything you love about eating wings all wrapped up into a soul warming elixir.

So representing the Buffalo Bills is our gluttonous take on Buffalo Chicken Wing Soup.  The soup is incredibly easy to prepare and is similar to a traditional bisque style soup with all the good flavors you love about eating wings.   Additionally, I would highly recommend using the blue cheese listed in the recipe, as it provides a great balance to the spicy creaminess of the soup (the cheese was selected after an “intense” discussion about the dish with my trusted local cheese monger).

Be sure to check back in tomorrow for the conclusion of the NFL Recipe Series with the New England Patriots and a recipe provided by Boston’s top sports blog: howiGit.com.

• 1 cup onions (diced)
  • 1 cup celery (diced)
  • 4 tbsp butter
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup of milk
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup of shredded cheese
  • 1/4 cup Frank’s hot sauce
  • 3 cups of cooked chicken (shredded)
  • Bleue d’Auvergne Herve Mons Blue Cheese (recommended)
  • Fresh chives (diced)

buffalo-bills-buffalo-chicken-wing-soup-recipe-1

• Now you can procure the chicken for this recipe any which way you want- fresh, frozen, or a rotisserie from the store.  But for me I wanted to introduce some smoke into the chicken meat and cooked my chicken on the grill beer can chicken style.  Nothing fancy…just olive oil, butter, salt, and pepper on the outside, Pabst Blue Ribbon on the inside, and cherry/mesquite smoke (yes that skin was delicious).

buffalo-bills-buffalo-chicken-wing-soup-recipe-2

• In a large pot, lightly saute the onions and celery with the butter.

buffalo-bills-buffalo-chicken-wing-soup-recipe-3

• Combine the flour with the buttered veggies, making a light roux.

buffalo-bills-buffalo-chicken-wing-soup-recipe-4

• Gradually whisk in the chicken broth and milk.  Bring to a boil.

buffalo-bills-buffalo-chicken-wing-soup-recipe-6

• Whisk in the hot sauce, heavy cream, sour cream, and shredded cheese. Cook until cheese is completely dissolved.

buffalo-bills-buffalo-chicken-wing-soup-recipe-7

• Finally toss in the chicken and simmer for 5-10 minutes.

buffalo-bills-buffalo-chicken-wing-soup-recipe-8

• Crumble some of the Bleue d’Auvergne Herve Mons…oh so good.

buffalo-bills-buffalo-chicken-wing-soup-recipe-10

• Ladle up some of the soup into a bowl, top with blue cheese, chives, and a few splashes of hot sauce.  Serve, enjoy, and save room for seconds.

Copyright © sports-glutton.com, 2010-2011. All Rights Reserved.  Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from sports-glutton.com is strictly prohibited.

Appetizers, Entrees, Food Recipes, NFL Recipe Series Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

25 Responses to “Buffalo Bills: Buffalo Chicken Wing Soup Recipe”

” … everything you love about eating wings all wrapped up into a soul warming elixir.”

That’s pretty much what I thought — well, in different words — when I read the recipe title. Really! What a great recipe and one that is totally new to me. Thanks!

• sportsglutton says:

Many thanks! Initially I wasn’t sure how it was going to turn out, but after we put in the hot sauce, etc. it all came together perfectly and the blue cheese was the icing on the cake.

2. Amy says:

Wow, this sounds seriously rich. I love the idea of turning the flavor of one of American’s fave foods into a soup! yum.

3. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide says:

Gotta love Frank’s. Was just in New York and had wings done right for the first time in years. Seriously good. I love this soup, so decadent. Perfect for fall too, if it’d only come.

• sportsglutton says:

The wife thinks I’m crazy, but I have a funny feeling in my bones that fall is going to come rather quickly and we can start enjoying these hearty/heavy foods. :-)

4. Liz says:

This soup sounds amazing!!! I could definitely see serving this on game day…but I’d even eat it today when it’s pushing 90º! Fabulous flavor combination.

5. Kay aka Babygirl says:

I love buffalo wings, but had no idea there was a Buffalo Chicken Wing Soup Recipe.. I LOVE this. I can’t wait to try it

6. kitchenbelleicious says:

What a genius way of having your buffalo wing flavor without actually eating and having the mess of buffalo wings. I have never heard of a soup like this and I am floored and so excited to try it for our first big tailgating adventure! Wow! Thanks for sharing

7. Katie says:

Wow!!! This looks so good! I’m going to have to try it once the weather cools down a bit!

8. rsmacaalay says:

I love buffalo wings but never had tried that soup version, it looks so rich and delicious.

9. chicaandaluza says:

Oh my – this is a totally new one to me but it sounds amazing! Roll on the autumn weather so that I can tuck into soups like this. Am off now to check out some of the other recipes and a big thank you for your help this evening. Not sure I have quite figured it out yet but am having fun trying!

• sportsglutton says:

Thanks for taking a look at my blog and for the kind words. Also I hope that I was able to help a little with the link issue. :-) Have a great weekend. Cheers!

10. 2011 NFL Recipe Series: The Complete Collection | sportsglutton says:

[…] Buffalo Bills: Buffalo Chicken Wing Soup Recipe Our gluttonous interpretation of everything you love about eating wings all wrapped up into a soul warming elixir. […]

11. spicegirlfla says:

oh my…how did I miss this! I roasted a chicken yesterday and am using the cooked chicken for soup tonight!

12. Get Out Your Soup Making Pot « says:

[…] and tracked down a recipe from the cool blog, sports-glutton.com (check it out).  I used the sports-glutton’s recipe as a guide but I did adapt it to fit our […]

13. Friday Football Fix: Week 10 | sportsglutton says:

[…] Our now Internet Famous Buffalo Chicken Wing Soup […]

14. SOUPer Bowl Party | Leading The Good Life says:

[…] up a bit grainy.) However, the crowd favorite was definitely Kate's buffalo chicken soup. She used this recipe, and everyone loved it. And from what I could tell, it was pretty easy to throw together. She […]

15. Donna says:

I noticed that this recipe calls for shredded cheese as well as the Blue Cheese. What kind of shredded cheese… ? Cheddar, Mozzarella, Parmesan…?

Sorry for the confusion. It could be whatever you have on had, but we’ve typically use a cheddar blend.

16. christina henhawk says:

This is one of the ONLY reasons I love living in Buffalo. :) ive had “buffalo” wings in several other states and NONE come close to here. They just dont cook them right elsewhere. This recipe was amazing.