Buffalo is the home of the Bills and of course that ultimate pregame appetizer…Buffalo Chicken Wings. While I enjoy a good wing as much as the next guy, I more interested in something different or alternative than wings for this part of our NFL Recipe Series. Thus, after doing a little research I discovered that there are numerous restaurants in Buffalo that have turned the All-American classic wing into a soup.
That’s right…everything you love about eating wings all wrapped up into a soul warming elixir.
So representing the Buffalo Bills is our gluttonous take on Buffalo Chicken Wing Soup. The soup is incredibly easy to prepare and is similar to a traditional bisque style soup with all the good flavors you love about eating wings. Additionally, I would highly recommend using the blue cheese listed in the recipe, as it provides a great balance to the spicy creaminess of the soup (the cheese was selected after an “intense” discussion about the dish with my trusted local cheese monger).
- 1 cup onions (diced)
- 1 cup celery (diced)
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup of shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup Frank’s hot sauce
- 3 cups of cooked chicken (shredded)
- Bleue d’Auvergne Herve Mons Blue Cheese (recommended)
- Fresh chives (diced)
- Now you can procure the chicken for this recipe any which way you want- fresh, frozen, or a rotisserie from the store. But for me I wanted to introduce some smoke into the chicken meat and cooked my chicken on the grill beer can chicken style. Nothing fancy…just olive oil, butter, salt, and pepper on the outside, Pabst Blue Ribbon on the inside, and cherry/mesquite smoke (yes that skin was delicious).
- In a large pot, lightly saute the onions and celery with the butter.
- Combine the flour with the buttered veggies, making a light roux.
- Gradually whisk in the chicken broth and milk. Bring to a boil.
- Whisk in the hot sauce, heavy cream, sour cream, and shredded cheese. Cook until cheese is completely dissolved.
- Finally toss in the chicken and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Crumble some of the Bleue d’Auvergne Herve Mons…oh so good.
- Ladle up some of the soup into a bowl, top with blue cheese, chives, and a few splashes of hot sauce. Serve, enjoy, and save room for seconds.
Copyright © sports-glutton.com, 2010-2011. All Rights Reserved. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from sports-glutton.com is strictly prohibited.