It’s the end of day two at Oktoberfest in Munich and there are sure to be more than a few people desiring a recovery breakfast in the morning. Whether you’re at the actually Oktoberfest or recovering from a domestic celebration, I recommend a traditional Munich breakfast that always got me back on my feet…Weisswurst, Brezn (pretzels), and Bier. For those of you unfamiliar with Weisswurst it’s a sausage made from veal and pork, combined with parsley and other spices. It’s served with Suesser Senf (sweet Bavarian mustard) which enhances the sausage’s subtle flavors. The overall combination produces one tasty meal that always seems to make the world a better place.
But whether you require Weisswurst to get you back on your feet or just want a simple satisfying Bavarian breakfast, there are few important things to know about preparing and eating this wonderously delicious white sausage.
1) Never grill Weisswurst. Weisswurst is meant to be boiled in hot water for around 10 minutes (do not allow the casing to crack or split). Shame on all those so called “German” restaurants in America that serve this sausage grilled.
2) Weisswurst is only to be served with Suesser Senf…period.
3) There is an art to removing the sausage meat from the casing and when in Munich be prepared to be mocked if you can’t handle this “complicated” task.
- Make an incision at one end of the sausage.
- Continue the incision down along the spine to the opposite end of the sausage.
- If you’ve got the skills use a fork and knife, otherwise use your hands to gently pull the casing off the sausage.
- Yes that was simple, but one mustn’t commit cultural faux pas.
- Slice and enjoy with Suesser Senf, pretzels, and of course your German beer of choice (traditionally a Weiss Bier).
Wondering where you can pick up some Weisswurst? Try your local German Deli or your can order from Stiglmeier online.
Also be on the look out this week for….a few Bavarian food recipes and Oktoberfest bier reviews (finally!).
Copyright © sports-glutton.com, 2010-2011. All Rights Reserved. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from sports-glutton.com is strictly prohibited.