Pumpkin is something that I rarely, if ever, experiment with in the kitchen. I really don’t have an answer as to why, it’s just that the ingredient usually isn’t on my radar. However, it is the season of pumpkin inspired recipes, and I figured that I might as well experiment with incorporating pumpkin into something and that something turned out to be my Grandma’s oatmeal cookie recipe.
Using pumpkin pie mix and toasted pecans, I turned out a new variation of the oatmeal cookie which was extremely moist with balanced flavors of pumpkin pie and oatmeal, along with a wonderful nutty note from the toasted pecans.
While Liz and my neighbors, who are sometimes the recipients my culinary adventures, might be torn as to whether they preferred the pumpkin/pecan or hazelnut/nutella version of the oatmeal cookies, I have to say that the pumpkin version rocked…so much so that I might have to experiment with pumpkin pie mix more often.
- 1 1/4 sticks of butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup of light brown sugar
- 2 cups of quick oats
- 1 cup of flour
- 3/4 tsp of salt
- 1 tbsp of vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp of water
- 3/4 cup of pecans (halved/lightly crushed)
- 1/2 cup of canned pumpkin pie mix (pumpkin puree)
*One batch will make roughly 18 cookies
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small frying pan, toast the pecans and set aside.
- Toss the butter and brown sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer and combine on a low speed.
- In a separate bowl mix the oats, flour, and salt. Then toss this mixture in with the butter and brown sugar.
- Mix on a medium-low speed until the mixture looks something like above.
- In a measuring cup combine the water and vanilla extract. Turn the mixer on a medium-low setting and gradually pour the water/vanilla into the bowl.
- Next toss in the pumpkin pie mix and toasted pecans. Continue to mix the ingredients on a medium setting until thoroughly combined.
- Spoon out big gobs of cookie dough onto a baking sheet, place the sheet in the oven, and bake for around 15 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool for a few minutes on a rack.
Copyright © sports-glutton.com, 2010-2011. All Rights Reserved. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from sports-glutton.com is strictly prohibited.