Kale with Sun Dried Tomatoes & Onions

Nov 02, 2011 33 Comments

I never grew up eating “greens” per se and as a diehard meat and potatoes, grilling everything, American man I’ve never been inclined to pick up kale, swiss chard, or anything “leafy” beyond lettuce.  Whether it was because of a failed experience of dumping ranch dressing on greens (those commercials which state ranch dressing makes everything palatable is a bold faced lie) or because I didn’t know how to properly prepare leaves, greens simply weren’t part of my diet…that was until I met my significant other.

Having been force fed a variety of greens over the past few years, I’ll admit that my horizons have been broadened and I’ve learned to appreciate/cook with a variety of leafy things (still not crazy about collard green though).

Today I’ll pass along my preferred preparation for kale, which is basically tossing onions, garlic, and sun dried tomatoes in with the greens.  It’s simplistic and produces healthy yet “manly” enough greens that even the most apprehensive American male can appreciate.  Of course as you can see from the image above, I still can’t separate myself from my meat and potato soul, as I served the kale with a Hasselback style potato covered in a gravy meat sauce.

Be sure to check back in tomorrow for this week’s addition of Thirsty Thursday…will it be beer, wine, or different adult libation of choice?

• 2 bunches of kale
  • 1 medium yellow onion (roughly chopped)
  • 3 garlic cloves (diced)
  • 1 cup of sun dried tomatoes (roughly chopped)
  • Freshly grated Parmesan
  • Salt and pepper
  • Olive Oil
  • Water

• Wash the kale and pat dry with a paper towel.  Then roughly chop the greens like so.

• In a large frying pan with olive oil, saute up the onions over medium-low heat.

• Toss in the garlic, then gradually add the kale (seasoning each addition with salt and pepper), and stir to assist with the greens cooking down.  If the onions/garlic are sticking to the bottom of the pan simply add a slash of water and stir.
  • Once you have all the greens in the pan, add a splash of water, cover and simmer for around 10 minutes or so.

• Next up, mix in the sun dried tomatoes and continue to cook for another 5 minutes or so, allowing all the flavors to meld together.

• Finally, season with salt and pepper to taste, plate and top with freshly grated parmesan.

Copyright © sports-glutton.com, 2010-2011. All Rights Reserved. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from sports-glutton.com is strictly prohibited.

Food Recipes, Side Dishes Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

33 Responses to “Kale with Sun Dried Tomatoes & Onions”

1. kitchenbelleicious says:

YUMMM! I am hungry now! This looks incredible. I love kale and the sweetness of the sun-dried tomatoes fits perfectly with ti!

I love eating leaves (all types of lettuce, rocket etc.) but I admit I have never had or prepared kale. It looks really good (how anything could taste bad when combined with dried tomatoes???). I must check if I can have it on my market. Thanks for a very original idea.

3. spicegirlfla says:

Okay so when I make this I’ll have to tell my son that you referred to this as “manly” hopefully then he will eat it!! I love kale and get excited to find new ways to make it. This sounds easy and delicious!!

4. zestybeandog says:

Looks great! What is on the other side of the Kale?!? Meat on top of a potato? It looks good, like something my husband would like :)

My family served greens of all kinds but, oddly, kale wasn’t among them. It was only a few years ago that I tried some — and I’ve been enjoying it ever since. Your recipe with sun-dried tomatoes & parmesan is one I have to try.

6. sweetflours says:

I was just joking with my neighbor about the 4 tons of kale and chard we would be getting this season in our csa boxes. I am in serious need of some new “manly” ways to prep it and I never use sun dried tomatoes. This is a great new take on greens. YUM!

7. Caroline says:

Manly indeed! That meal looks absolutely delicious. Is that a hasselback potato behind the kale? Slash what is on top? Because I want to eat that right now. Seriously, right now. Yum!

8. Jereme's Kitchen says:

i’ve never been big on kale, but i’ll have to try this one

9. Stacey says:

Thanks for stopping by Spatoola. That kale looks great. I usually have it as kale chips or in a pasta bake, but will have to try your recipe.

10. RogueFanatic says:

That looks awesome, I have to try it,…great blog!

11. ceciliag says:

we have piles of kale still in the garden and eat it every night( terrified that it will die when the cold comes) and i also pan fry it with onions and sunflowers seeds and a littlechilli and i love the idea of the tomatoes. i will try it this way tomorrow. It is still growing! and i am not sick of it yet! c

12. Liz says:

I think I might even get the picky hubby to eat kale using your recipe…sounds delicious!

13. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide says:

Wait do I have to do more pullups or grunt more since I like kale? Anyway, this looks great!

14. rsmacaalay says:

What a phenomenal vegetable dish, I would love that on my dining table

15. Haute Cookture says:

Kale with sun dried tomatoes. I’m in! Hasselback style potato? Never tried…but yours sure looks delish. Post your recipe soon:)

16. thedrivencook says:

I love love love kale! Never thought to add sun dried tomatoes. I’ll have to try it!

17. chicaandaluza says:

Now that IS manly! Seriously though, we have a year round supply of chard growing in our veggie patch so a new way of using it is always exciting…and with some of the tomatoes I dried over the summer, well this would be perfect!

18. Grilled Hasselback Potatoes Stuffed with Bacon & Smothered in Cheese | sportsglutton says:

[...] out into an impressive looking spud, making for a brilliant addition to any meal (like with my Kale with Sun Dried Tomatoes & Onions recipe) But for all the hasselback recipes out there, most recipes have the spud baking in the oven and [...]

19. Grilled Hasselback Potatoes Stuffed with Bacon & Smothered in Cheese | sportsglutton says:

[...] out into an impressive looking spud, making for a brilliant addition to any meal (like with my Kale with Sun Dried Tomatoes & Onions recipe) But for all the hasselback recipes out there, most have the spud baking in the oven and I’ve [...]

20. Pasta Princess says:

Yeah!! Another recipe for my newly found love of Kale! Thank you for sharing :-)