Mesquite Smoked Ham & Veggie Quiche off the Grill

Dec 03, 2011 32 Comments

The cold whether is finally descending upon the greater Salt Lake City area and I thought there would be no better way to welcome the below freezing temperatures than to fire up the old grill this morning for some experimentation with quiche.

Of course as a grilling glutton, I’m a firm believer that anything prepared on a stove or in an oven is always better when grilled, especially with the introduction of smoke. Thus I found no reason to believe that a dish which many men might associate with Martha Stewart could become something even the most ardent anti-quiche haters could appreciate.  Of course ingredients can help make anything more palatable and the mixture of roast peppers, grilled onions, cured ham, and hot chili peppers wasn’t a combination I thought could fail.  But it was addition of mesquite smoke while cooking the quiche on the grill which put this dish over the top with a subtle smokey flavor.

Naturally, this quiche recipe could be prepared in the oven (at 375 degrees), but really what fun would that be?

Lastly please don’t try to enjoy this quiche with a mimosa or a blood mary.  Crack open a beer, cut your self a hefty hunk, and enjoy the quichey deliciousness while watching the game. As they said in the Old Milwaukee beer commercials…“It doesn’t get any better than this.”

Also if you missed this week’s Thirsty Thursday, don’t forget to enter Sports-glutton.com’s giveaway of a Grand Teton Brewing Company Growler by clicking here.  It’s your chance to win a stainless steel growler from the brewery which reintroduced this magical transporting vessel for beer into the American way of life.

• 1 premade pie crust
  • 1 red pepper
  • 1 yellow pepper
  • 1 green pepper
  • 1/2 large yellow onion (roughly chopped or thinly sliced)
  • 1 cup of cured ham (roughly chopped)
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cup of whole milk
  • 2 small hot chili peppers (diced)
  • Shredded cheddar cheese or blend
  • Grated parmesan cheese
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • Olive oil
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 aluminum pie tin
  • Mesquite woodchips

• Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.

• Allow your pie crust to come to room temperature. Shape it into your pie tin, form edges, and using a fork poke holes throughout the crust.
  • Place the pie crust in the oven and cook for 10 minutes or until the crust has browned. Remove from oven and set aside.
  • Set up your grill for direct cooking on high and presoak your woodchips (if necessary).

• Generously coat your peppers with olive oil, salt, and pepper.  Place the peppers on the grill to roast and close the lid (Do Not add woodchips at this time).

• Rotate the peppers as each side becomes charred. Once blackened on all sides remove the peppers from the grill and place in a brown bag to sweat the skins.
  • Keep your grill warm or hot and set up for indirect grilling.

• Saute the onions in a frying pan over medium-low heat along with a generous splash of oil olive and the butter. Cook for 10 minutes or so, stirring continuously.
  • Add the cured ham, season with salt and pepper (to taste), and cook for another 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat.

• Remove the skins, stems, and seeds from the peppers, then give them a rough chop.

• Add the ham/onion mixture to the bottom of the pie crust and top with the peppers.

• Top with a healthy handful of shredded cheese.

• In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, and hot chili peppers.

• Pour the egg mixture over the quiche filling and top with some grated Parmesan.

• Increase your grill’s heat to high or medium-high.
  • Place the quiche in the cool zone, add your woodchips to the coal, smokerbox, etc, and close the lid.  Continue to add woodchips as necessary to keep a constant flow of smoke over the quiche.
  • Cook the quiche for around 45 minutes or until firm and a knife poked into the quiche emerges clean.
  • Remove from the grill and allow to rest for 5 minutes or so.

• Serve up this smokey quiche and attempt not to eat the entire thing yourself.

Copyright © sports-glutton.com, 2010-2011. All Rights Reserved. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from sports-glutton.com is strictly prohibited.

Appetizers, Entrees, Food Recipes Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

32 Responses to “Mesquite Smoked Ham & Veggie Quiche off the Grill”

1. Food, Flowers, Herbs and Life! says:

Oh, my! After seeing that first picture I think I could eat the entire quiche myself! What a recipe!

2. thefooddoctor says:

A grilled quiche! now that sounds really interesting
    I think the smoky flavor would really take this to the next level

3. rsmacaalay says:

Lovely flavours on this quiche, love the flavours on that grilled peppers.

4. The Mom Chef ~ Taking on Magazines One Recipe at a Time says:

You’ve created a dish in which you don’t need to buy smoked ham or Cheddar because you infuse that magnificent aroma into the whole pie. Brilliant.

You’re right. You have removed this from Martha Stewart’s kitchen and placed it smack dab on Bobby Flay’s roof.

5. Liz says:

Oh, my. This is the best sounding quiche I’ve seen in ages!!! What layers of fabulous flavors….mmmmmmmm.

6. Judy@Savoring Today says:

Mmm, perfect for game day :)

7. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide says:

I’m so having this with a mimosa just to spite you! Seriously, looks awesome!

8. egg me on says:

The grilled peppers are a cool touch. I’d certainly crack open a beer and eat this. Unlike some people (ahem, Greg) that I know.

9. ceciliag says:

HA HA! I shall show this to Our John, he also believes that you can grill anything, but is wary of the girlie quiche i make.. c

If you knew how much I would give for a real grill… I totally agree with you: everything tastes much better on a grill! Making a quiche on a grill is an extraordinary idea!

So, real gluttons do eat quiche. Where can I buy the t-shirt?

12. spicegirlfla says:

I’m showing this to my son! I taught him to grill this past summer and he is grilling everything now! This is awesome tho to keep in mind when I’m camping!

13. unclemonkey says:

That looks absolutely amazing – I’m going to have to try that!

14. beerbecue says:

You’re killing me. Not only does that make me want to eat the computer screen, but it is also making me question man law about eating quiche.

15. kitchenbelleicious says:

this was done on the grill! Now that is awesome!

16. zestybeandog says:

This looks fantastic, what a great way to make a quiche!

I would never have thought to grill a quiche. Nice work! It sounds delicious.

18. Colleen says:

Honestly, I’m not a big fan of quiche. But this recipe looks downright awesome! I love the cheese and the ham and the veggies in there. I seriously might have to give this one a try!

19. Geni - Sweet and Crumby says:

Why are you taunting me in this way? It looks perfect. I can’t think of a better dinner on a cold night than that grilled quiche. I would have NEVER thought of grilling it but now the choice looks so obviously perfect!

20. Grilled Hasselback Potatoes Stuffed with Bacon & Smothered in Cheese | sportsglutton says:

[…] like my mesquite smoked quiche, this recipe isn’t lacking manly heart clogging gluttonous.  But everything in moderation is […]

21. Grilled Hasselback Potatoes Stuffed with Bacon & Smothered in Cheese | sportsglutton says:

[…] like my mesquite smoked quiche, this recipe isn’t lacking in manly heart clogging gluttonous.  But everything in moderation […]

22. Country Ham & Baby Kale Quiche | sportsglutton says:

[…] Yet the Glutton Kitchens have a long standing appreciation of the eggy pies (see our Mesquite Smoked Ham & Veggie Quiche) and we highly recommend not shying away from our latest quiche, which brings together country ham […]