If you recall from last week, I posted a phenomenal recipe for citrus caramelized leeks served over grilled salmon topped off with an egg (click here for a refresher). Well building off my new found addiction to caramelized leeks I experimented with using them as the base for a pizza topped with grilled asparagus (slightly smoked), goat’s cheese, and thinly sliced pieces of homemade cured salmon.
Though I felt confident that the combination of ingredients wouldn’t be a disaster of epic proportions, I wasn’t prepared for the happiness that consumed my palate and stomach. The pizza is fresh, spicy, and wholesome tasting, with a subtle smokey tenet from the asparagus that completes the package. The only enhancement to this recipe that I would recommend is the addition of roasted garlic…something my kitchen was “out of stock” of when I created this pie.
- Cured salmon (click here for recipe)
- Caramelized leeks (click here for recipe, adding citrus is optional for this recipe)
- Grilled asparagus (slightly smoked)
- 4-6 oz goat’s cheese (a fresh chevre will work great)
- Pizza dough (chick here for recipe)
- Olive oil
- Pizza stone or large baking sheet
- Preheat your oven, including pizza stone, to 415 degrees.
- Roughly chop up the asparagus, break up the goat’s cheese, and thinly slice the cured salmon.
- Stretch the pizza dough by hand or with a floured rolling pin to the desired size and thickness (I like ours pretty darn thin).
- I prefer to assemble the pizza directly on the hot stone or baking sheet. Dust either the stone or pan with cornmeal immediately before assembling, then place the dough on the heated surface.
- Brush the top of the pizza dough with olive oil. Top the pie with the caramelized leeks, asparagus, and goat’s cheese (salmon is placed on the pizza after it has cooked).
- Cook the pizza for about 15-20 minutes or until the bottom and crust of the pizza is golden brown.
- Generously top the pizza with the cured salmon.
- Slice, plate, devour, want more.
Copyright © sports-glutton.com, 2010-2012. All Rights Reserved. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from sports-glutton.com is strictly prohibited.