Grilled Stuffed Eggplant w/ Spicy Italian Sausage & Peppers

Jun 13, 2012 34 Comments

Many of you foodies that follow this site may have been wondering why I seemingly disappeared off the face of the Blogosphere for more than a good five weeks.  After all it surely it doesn’t take that long to relaunch a website. Honestly, it does and doesn’t. But during my time away from sports-glutton.com Liz and I also relocated to the the Cowboy State of Wyoming for the summer (yeehaw!) and because of a housing storage in our new city we found ourselves “living off the land” for a good seven days.

Homeless and with time to kill, we squatted camped in Bighorn National Forest and Grand Teton National Park for the week taking the time to work on our culinary skills over the campfire. Of course while camping one is usually forced to make due with the bare necessities when preparing food, scratching together deliciousness from simplicity.  The following recipe is one of our great successes in this respect, which was basically a combination of the ingredients on hand.

Now I fully realize that there are some of you out there that have an aversion to eggplant (like myself).  But I can assure you that this is one eggplant recipe that you’ll want to experience. The combination of spicy Italian sausage, onions, red peppers, and marinara with the eggplant create what can only be described as a pizza like flavor that keeps you coming back for more.

• Eggplant
  • Yellow onion  (roughly sliced or chopped)
  • Spicy Italian Sausage(s) (casing removed)
  • Marinara
  • Red Bell Pepper (thinly sliced lengthwise)
  • Green onions (roughly chopped)
  • Olive Oil
  • Salt and pepper
  • Aluminum foil

Note: Although we prepared the stuffed eggplant over the campfire it could easily be done on the grill or in the oven at 350 degrees.

• Start up your camp fire.

• Slice an eggplant in half, scoop out the veggie’s guts, and place both on large pieces of foil (large enough to fully wrap each half of eggplant in).

• Generously season each half with salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil.

• Add a handful of onions to each half.

• Gently stuff each half with the Italian sausage.

• Give the eggplant halves a healthy layer of marinara.

• Cover each eggplant with red pepper slices.

• Completely wrap each half with aluminum foil and place the “eggplant” side down on the grill over the fire (ie direct cooking).

• Using tongs carefully rotate the stuffed eggplants as the foil blackens to cook each side evenly.
  • Cooking times will vary depending on the temperature of your fire, grill placement, and weather conditions. However, the eggplants are ready when they have soften to the touch (give each a gentle squeeze). In this case ours took just over 45 minutes.

• Move the stuffed eggplants to the side of the grill and CAREFULLY open up the top of the foil, then return to cooking over direct heat.  The goal here is to cook off any excessive amount of water or moisture.

• When you’ve accomplished this, remove the eggplants from the camp fire and garnish with the green onions.

• If desired, plate up the stuffed eggplants and enjoy.

Camping Recipes, Entrees, Food Recipes Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

34 Responses to “Grilled Stuffed Eggplant w/ Spicy Italian Sausage & Peppers”

1. The Tin Man says:

What a marvelous ideas and magnificant presentation. The flavor combination sounds divine!

2. WSW says:

So good to have you back, Jed. Looks delicious –despite my no camping and no eggplant policies.

Thanks Wendie. It’s good to be back and despite my general aversion to eggplant I’d make this again and again. cheers!

3. Mandy - The Complete Cook Book says:

Oh, I love egg plant and this sounds like just the thing for the fire. Delicious.
    :-) Mandy

4. Tina@flourtrader says:

Campfire eggplant does sound like a delicious idea, especially with all those goodies you filled them with! The word “pizzalike” actually cinches this idea, I do need to make it. Deliciously done Jed!

5. amy @ fearless homemaker says:

this look sooo good. i love eggplant in all forms (+ of course, italian sausage), so this sounds divine. would you believe that i’ve never been camping in my life, though? my husband + i are thinking of going sometime soon – we both think i finally need to experience camping!

I can actually believe that. My better half (an NYC girl) was a camping virgin until recently. Now she loves it so much she wants to go every weekend!

6. Caroline says:

So happy to have you back, Jed! Love the new design of the site, and these stuffed eggplants look amazing. What a great idea. If only I had a grill at my apartment!! Guess I’ll have to settle with the indoor grill pan…

Thanks Carolina and sadly I’m in the same boat as you for the next few months with no grill. It’s going to be a tough summer!

I knew you were going to be gone for a spell but had no idea you were going completely off the grid! How very Sarah Connor of you! Well. whether by choice or part of a deal with the witness protection program, I’m glad that you’re back, safe & sound. Welcome home!
    This eggplant couldn’t look any better — and I’ve eaten plenty of eggplant! That you made it while “camping” — wink, wink — is remarkable. I have to try it!

We’re serious about camping and serious about food, so it’s always an adventure to try to combine the two. No hot dogs and beans for us. The really tricky thing is attempting to make good coffee in the morning with fresh grounds. :-)

8. Catalina @ Cake with Love says:

I truly love eggplant, but never had it prepared this way! The stuffing look absolutely delicious! I am certain that even my husband will be a big fan!

9. giovanna says:

Amazing! great recipe (and healthy). Perfect for the summer :)

10. Teresa, foodonfifth.com says:

I do not love eggplant, but I like it sometimes. I do like the recipe you made over the campfire! I love the idea of you being out of touch in the wilds of Wyoming! Is this something you do every summer or is this the first time. Very intriguing!

Wyoming is just a one time thing for us, but I think it’s going to be a very interesting experience.

11. Kitchen Belleicious says:

i am loving the new site! It looks so amazing. the pictures are beautiful and drool worthy and i am just fired up about this eggplant! Wow

12. Blog Surface says:

Hey Jed, loving the site man. Best of luck. Anyway, couldn’t resist leaving an insight to this amazingly, well created dish. When can I order? hehe

The new site is lovely and I’ve given you a FB like! I wondered where you went. Sounds like you’ve had a lovely if not forced break. The eggplant dish looks very tasty xx

14. Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table says:

Love the new look! Welcome back. :)

This looks fantastic – I am an eggplant lover so I’ll definitely be trying this out.

I take my hat off to you Mr. Gray, camping AND continuing to formulate your blog posts. That is indeed quite impressive. As you could probably tell from my blog, I am not much of a camper, in fact, years ago I read this appropriate remark in a Readers’ Digest and have used it as my tag line ever since: Roughing it to me is slow room service. ;-)
    I adore eggplant, so this one is right up my alley. The sausage and the red peppers and the creamy egg plant make a perfect combo. I will have to bookmark this (for my BBQ, of course!).
    Very nice new look to the blog, I particularly like the repetition of narrow rectangles with the recent blog posts…is that normal for wordpress?
    What takes you to Wyoming for the summer?

Roughing it is slow room service? You crack me up Eva…though I’m sure at one point in her life Liz would have agreed with you. ;-)

Glad you like the redesign and if you’re speaking about the front page, it a specially designed theme for WP that my webdesign used as the basis for what we developed. Personally I love it.

As for us moving to Wyoming, Liz took a job with the city for the summer. So we packed up our stuff, left Salt Lake City behind, and Cowboy’d up! Should be an interesting experience.

16. Raymund says:

Wow that eggplant looks great, also great with barbecue and cook it alongside. Yum

17. Greg says:

That’s pretty gourmet for a bum!

18. Grilled Eggplant With Salsa Verde (And A One Lovely Blog Award!) « Putney Farm says:

[...] Grilled Stuffed Eggplant w/ Spicy Italian Sausage & Peppers (sports-glutton.com) [...]

19. Berry Butter Granola Crumb | sportsglutton says:

[...] I discussed back with my Grilled Stuffed Eggplant w/ Spicy Italian Sausage Recipe, making flavorful and satisfying meals when camping can at times be challenging because most of the [...]