Sometimes life can be rough. Any protracted evening of gluttonous activity can result in the slowest of following days, requiring the necessary recovery food to make amends. This is one of those recipes that can make everything right in the world.
Now pub fries are no stranger to man’s late night refueling desires or to rebalancing the equation. The backbone of the “life giving” essence of the dish is it’s simplistically. Fries, meat gravy, and cheese…basic gluttony 101. And this recipe is no different.
Create a base of fries (regular, sweet potato, or a mix), top with pork & mushroom gravy with just the right spice components and you have something that makes the body, mind, and soul a happy one.
It’s important to note though that although the recipe is easily adjustable, keeping it simple with the base ingredients listed will produce clean tasting pub fries. This is especially the case regarding the mushrooms. Don’t get fancy by substituting in shiitakes for the buttons…it won’t be the same. That said, if you’ve got a hankering for pub fries with a BBQ potato chip essence you can substitute in smoked paprika for the hot paprika and BAM! You’re good to go.
- 1 pkg of frozen fries (we use Alexia)
- 1/2-2/3 lb of ground pork (unseasoned)
- 1/2 lrg onion
- 1 pkg of button mushrooms (roughly chopped)
- 1 tsp hot paprika
- Dash of mustard powder
- Dash of cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2-2 1/2 cups of Au jus broth (beef or veggie broth can be substituted)
- Shredded cheese
- Green onions (roughly chopped) or fresh chives (finely chopped)
- Olive oil
- Non-stick spray
- Finely chop the onion.
- Toss the onions into a large frying pan over medium/low heat, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt.
- Stirring regularly, cook the onions until translucent and slightly browned. Spray with non-stick spray when necessary to keep the onions from sticking.
- Add the ground pork, allowing the onions to soak up the porky fat and flavor while stirring regularly .
- Cooking the pork through and break up any medium/larger chunks of pork with a fork.
- Toss in the mushrooms and generously season with salt and pepper.
- Cooking the mushroom/pork mixture for around 10 minutes or until the mushrooms have released their water and are soft.
- Reduce temperature to low heat and stir in the flour.
- Then gradually add 2 of the cups of broth, stirring continuously.
- Season the gravy with the paprika, mustard powder, and cumin. Stir and allow the flavors to meddle for about 5 minutes.
- Add an additional salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat to lowest possible temperature and cover the gravy. Use the any remaining broth to thin out the gravy prior to serving.
- Preheat the oven to the necessary temperature to cook the fries. Dump the fries on a cooking sheet and baking according to instructions on packaging.
- When the fries are hot and crispy, remove from oven and place a healthy helping on a plate.
- Dress the fries with the desired/demanded quantity of pork mushroom gravy, shredded cheese, and garnish with green onions or chives. Inhale and enjoy the forth coming return to normality.
Copyright © sports-glutton.com, 2010-2012. All Rights Reserved. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from sports-glutton.com is strictly prohibited.