Growing up in Northern California less than 2 hours from San Francisco meant there was always a readily available supply of seafood. One of the luxuries that was afforded during my upbringing on our farm was weekly fresh seafood deliveries which always included a healthy allotment of sea scallops. The scallops were one of the first things cooked/consumed enjoyed and to this day I can never turn down the simple satisfaction of a well prepare sea scallop.
We at the Institute of Gluttony feel there is nothing better than searing sea scallops in butter and serving in the most uncomplicated manner. With that in mind we created the following Scallop Roll that allows the scallops to shine, with the condiments playing second fiddle in the roll. Unlike weighty heavily mayonnaised Lobster Rolls, this roll is fresh, light, with a slight herby and veggie crunch that provides the perfect balance to the buttery texture of the scallops and bun.
Enjoy, but be forewarned that one roll might not be enough to satisfying your hunger.
The Necessities (makes 4 rolls):
- 16 sea scallops (4 scallops per roll)
- 2 tbsp red onion (diced)
- 2 stalks celery (diced)
- 1/3 of a red pepper
- 2 springs of tarragon (chopped)
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley (chopped)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2-1 tbsp mayo
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 4 slices of English cucumber per roll
- 4 large hot dog buns (uncut)
- Chop, dice, or do what you must to the veggies and herbs.
- Mix the red onion, red pepper, celery, herbs, lemon zest, lemon juice, and mayo together in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Drop a gluttonous chunk of butter into a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Once melted place your scallops into the pan. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
- Sear each side of the scallops, then remove from heat and set aside.
- In the same frying pan, melt some additional butter to dress the buns with.
- Butterfly/slice the top of each hot dog buns and drizzle the extra melted butter inside. Layer with the cucumber slices, scallops, and then top with the fresh relish. Plate and devour.
Copyright © sports-glutton.com, 2010-2012. All Rights Reserved. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from sports-glutton.com is strictly prohibited.