Berry Butter Granola Crumb

Jul 25, 2012 29 Comments

Berry Butter Granola Crumb Camping Recipe IMG_6048

As I discussed back with my Grilled Stuffed Eggplant w/ Spicy Italian Sausage Recipe, making flavorful and satisfying meals when camping can at times be challenging because most of the time you’re traveling on the lighter side without access to the normal range of products in your kitchen…that is unless you’re “camping” in an RV with a full stocked kitchen. So proper planning and preparation can be the difference between a “ho hum” dish or something deliciously gluttonous.

And planning and preparation doesn’t have to be anything elaborate, but rather ensuring you’ve packed the proper quantities of ingredients for particular dishes.  After all the less you have to pack the better.

Case in point is this scrumptious recipe made with any combination of fresh berries or fruits.  One needs only to premake the desired amount of granola crumb topping and wash your fruit prior to departure.  When you’re ready to make, simply toss the ingredients into a small pan and allow the smoke and heat from the fire to take care of the rest.  The result is sweet gooey fruity granola combination with just a touch of camp fire smoke that is perfect for dessert or with your morning coffee.

Of course in place of a camp fire, you could easily prepare this dish indirectly on your home grill or in an oven set at 350 degrees.

The Necessities:*

• Blueberries and blackberries (or desired combination of berries/fruit), enough to completely fill pan
  • 2 crushed cinnamon granola bars (around 3 oz total)**
  • 1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 tbsp flour
  • 1-2 tbsp butter

*quantities are for a 4×4 pan
**you can substitute in plain bars or other granola and, if desired, simply add a smidgen cinnamon to the crumb

Preparation prior to camping:

• Toss the crushed granola bars, brown sugar, and flour into a ziploc or sealing plastic bag.  Seal and mix ingredients together with you hands.
  • Wash and pat dry your berries and/or fruit.
  • Pack all the necessities.

Berry Butter Granola Crumb Camping Recipe IMG_6036

• Fire up that camp fire.
  • Fill your 4×4 pan to the brim with your berries/fruit.
  • Top with the crumb followed by chunks of butter even distributed over the crumb.
  • Place your fruity sweet treat on the grill grate directly over the fire, regularly rotating the pan for even cooking.
  • Cook until the bubbling juices of the berries/fruit have reduced into thick gooey goodness.
  • Carefully remove from heat and set aside to cool.
  • Plate and serve, or simply enjoy straight out of the pan.

Breakfast, Camping Recipes, Desserts, Food Recipes Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

29 Responses to “Berry Butter Granola Crumb”

1. The Tin Man says:

Yum………..not gonna wait to go camping to make this one!

2. betsyb says:

Oooooh, I love this idea for camping, Jed! We haven’t been camping this year…a few too many speed bumps in the road while it was cool enough to stand it, but I’m bookmarking your idea for this fall. :)

3. amy @ fearless homemaker says:

love that you made this on the campfire – too fun! all your food posts lately are making me want to go camping in a big way. love the use of fresh, seasonal berries in this!

Thanks Amy…and I guess I have been on a season berry kick lately, but that’s what happens when you horde quantities of fruit and veggies on long distance grocery trips. 😉

4. Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table says:

I have many weaknesses, but crumbles are at the top of that list. Served with wine, of course. Or with a wine reduction pour over the ice cream I like to eat with my crumbles.

anyhow, I really love that you made this on a fire. That was quite rustic and manly in a gluttonous way.

5. beerbecue says:

Nice. I imagine this tastes much better than my usual while camping: peanut butter on tortillas.

I love fruit crumble desserts. This looks tasty.

Peanut butter and tortillas?? I guess whatever works, but what is the beer pairing??

6. Kitchen Belleicious says:

an explosion of the most fantastic flavors ever! Love this

Gourmet Camping, the next rage of glamping! Nice work, Jed. When we went to Montréal in the Rock Star Bus (Giant Motor Home) the kitchen wasn’t stocked.

8. cecilia says:

I would never have thought of making this on the grill! wow.. c

You rock, Jed. Best camping recipe I’ve seen yet. I’m totally impressed. I’ve never been this ambitious with scratch cooking while camping. I bet the granola bars gave this dish some awesome crunch. Have a great night!

Thanks Mary. As I said it take a little planning and prep, but scratch cooking is definitely doable while camping…and oh so good.

What a great camping treat. I’m made many crumbles before but never had them smoke-flavoured. Perhaps this is something I need to try this coming summer xx

11. Mandy - The Complete Cook Book says:

Smoke flavoured sounds like something we are going to have to try with this pud.
    :-) Mandy

Smoke and fruit is a lesson I learn all to well when i had a grill and attempted to smoke everything.

12. Stacie says:

Yum! This looks like something I could actually make. Will try it. Thanks Jed!

13. Karen (Back Road Journal) says:

That would make me a happy camper.

14. Courtney says:

Oh, how I wish I’d seen this before we went camping – it would’ve been the perfect pick-me-up!

15. Meenakshi says:

Oooh yummy!! I wish we had nicer berry varieties here, though. I’ll have to wait for strawberry season to come around!

My camping days are behind me but that doesn’t mean this dish is. I’ll bake this in my oven and eat it by the light of a flashlight under a blanket spread between my sofa and side chair. I’ll crate Max and he should provide all of the background wildlife sounds required. Or, I could just eat it at my table. Either way, this crumble will be enjoyed!