As I discussed back with my Grilled Stuffed Eggplant w/ Spicy Italian Sausage Recipe, making flavorful and satisfying meals when camping can at times be challenging because most of the time you’re traveling on the lighter side without access to the normal range of products in your kitchen…that is unless you’re “camping” in an RV with a full stocked kitchen. So proper planning and preparation can be the difference between a “ho hum” dish or something deliciously gluttonous.
And planning and preparation doesn’t have to be anything elaborate, but rather ensuring you’ve packed the proper quantities of ingredients for particular dishes. After all the less you have to pack the better.
Case in point is this scrumptious recipe made with any combination of fresh berries or fruits. One needs only to premake the desired amount of granola crumb topping and wash your fruit prior to departure. When you’re ready to make, simply toss the ingredients into a small pan and allow the smoke and heat from the fire to take care of the rest. The result is sweet gooey fruity granola combination with just a touch of camp fire smoke that is perfect for dessert or with your morning coffee.
Of course in place of a camp fire, you could easily prepare this dish indirectly on your home grill or in an oven set at 350 degrees.
- Blueberries and blackberries (or desired combination of berries/fruit), enough to completely fill pan
- 2 crushed cinnamon granola bars (around 3 oz total)**
- 1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp flour
- 1-2 tbsp butter
*quantities are for a 4×4 pan
**you can substitute in plain bars or other granola and, if desired, simply add a smidgen cinnamon to the crumb
Preparation prior to camping:
- Toss the crushed granola bars, brown sugar, and flour into a ziploc or sealing plastic bag. Seal and mix ingredients together with you hands.
- Wash and pat dry your berries and/or fruit.
- Pack all the necessities.
- Fire up that camp fire.
- Fill your 4×4 pan to the brim with your berries/fruit.
- Top with the crumb followed by chunks of butter even distributed over the crumb.
- Place your fruity sweet treat on the grill grate directly over the fire, regularly rotating the pan for even cooking.
- Cook until the bubbling juices of the berries/fruit have reduced into thick gooey goodness.
- Carefully remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Plate and serve, or simply enjoy straight out of the pan.
Copyright © sports-glutton.com, 2010-2012. All Rights Reserved. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from sports-glutton.com is strictly prohibited.