Moonshine Chipotle Lime Marinade

Sep 12, 2012 32 Comments

Moonshine Chipotle Lime Marinade Recipe IMG_7574

The best part about having moonshine in your liquor cabinet: you’ve got a fiery spirit that will put hair on your chest or make your skirt blow up.  The worst part about having moonshine in your liquor cabinet: you’ve got a fiery spirit that puts more hair on your chest than needed or makes your skirt blow up at the wrong time.

The solution…find creative ways to reduce your quantity of moonshine without having to endure the burn of enjoying the spirit straight out of a Ball jamming jar.

One result…a substitution of one fiery substance for another.

Now chipotles in adobe are well known for creating unforgettable amounts of heat in any marinate or dish. But because of its high alcohol proof the correct amount of moonshine helps to cuts through that chipotles’ heat, producing a balanced marinate of flavor and spice.  When I tested the following marinate on chicken the complexity of the marinade’s spices was apparent on the front half of the palate, followed by the high heat of the chipotles in the middle, which ebbed into a comforting warming afterglow.

Make no mistake this marinate has a kick to it.  However, it might just be one of the most complex fiery concoctions you’ve ever savored.

• 1 can of chipotles in adobe (7 oz)
  • 4-5 cloves of garlic
  • 1 cup of brown sugar
  • Juice of 2 limes
  • 1 tbsp oil olive
  • 1/2 cup moonshine
  • 1/3 cilantro
  • Pinch of salt

• It’s a marinate so you can keep things pretty simple here….

Moonshine Chipotle Lime Marinade Recipe IMG_7574

• Toss all the ingredients into a food processor and hit puree.  Bam!  Now what to marinate???

Moonshine Chipotle Lime Marinade Recipe IMG_7570

• How about some chicken…hack some up.

Moonshine Chipotle Lime Marinade Recipe IMG_7594

• Toss that chicken or what every meat you choose into a plastic bag along with the marinate.  Seal and allow the meat to soak up the ridiculous spiciness for at least one hour…longer the better though.

Moonshine Chipotle Lime Marinade Recipe IMG_7638

• Time to cook.  Dump the marinated meat into a large frying pan over medium heat.

Moonshine Chipotle Lime Marinade Recipe IMG_7655

• Cook that meat til the desired/safe temperature has been reached.

Moonshine Chipotle Lime Marinade Recipe IMG_7780

• Pile the marinate meaty goodness onto your favorite pizza, in your taco of choice, or stuffed in the perfect burrito.  (Recognize that topping?  Yellow Pico de Gallo baby).

Entrees, Food Recipes, Side Dishes, Tips Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

32 Responses to “Moonshine Chipotle Lime Marinade”

1. WSW says:

Where’d you get the moonshine, Jed? Inquiring livers want to know.

2. Eri says:

1 can?????? Pheeeeewwwwww my eyes started crying only by the thought of it. I love hot spicy food Jed and I think that I have a good tolerance but my hubby cant have spicy things. I think I;ll make a small batch and enjoy it in a sneaky way just like the alcoholics do :P

3. Linda says:

Really, there is moonshine around?? I may just have to order one for giggles and blowing up my skirt!! I’m all about spicy so this sounds fabulous to me!! And when I scrolled down to see you topped it on pizza i really got excited!!!

4. Sportschump says:

Stop making me hungry

5. Judy@Savoring Today says:

Pure magic right there. YUM! Something weird about writing moonshine on the shopping list though … just sayin’.

6. amy @ fearless homemaker says:

You always have the most creative recipes + this is no exception. I’m a huuuuge fan of chipotles in adobo, citrus, + of course, booze, so this is just my type of marinade. Love the idea of using it with chicken for tacos of burritos!

Jed, it looks awesome! I love fiery food as you may know and now you have really intrigued me with moonshine. I have never heard about it! (Especially since the link you have given doesn’t work… It sounds like a mystery product!).

8. cecilia says:

Other than being very happy NOT to have any hairs on my chest thank you very much, i have to wonder.. Where are you really getting your moonshine? I don’t trust this source, i suspect that on your travels you have some old times up in the hills! Hmm.. c

9. Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table says:

This looks fabulous! BUT… it your moonshine the “real” thing? Where do you get it?!

10. The Tin Man says:

Rock out!! This looks terrific!!!

11. Mandy - The Complete Cook Book says:

Now, if I just had some moonshine in the booze cabinet. The marinade sounds taste explosion tonsil tickling good!
    :-) Mandy

12. Eva says:

I have to ask: you wear a skirt? ;)
    I just can’t imagine what moonshine tastes like other than the burn from how high the alcohol content. I do adore sweet and heat together and I can imagine how tasty your sauce is on chicken. Very tasty indeed.

Tomorrow, and as soon as my local bottle shop opens, I’m walking in and asking if they sell moonshine. To this day I have never seen it. I always thought it was a myth. I would love to try it – in moderation of course! xx

14. The Mom Chef ~ Taking on Magazines One Recipe at a Time says:

Oh, be still my heart. Even though I can’t handle the heat, I lover, love, love chipotles in adobo. I adore the flavor. I think I can get my hands on grappa, which is pretty much Italian moonshine. I had some home made stuff while we were in Italy and thought it was going to blow out my throat. Powerful booze, that stuff. :)

15. Kitchen Belleicious says:

wow! I can see me putting this marinade on any and everything! it looks utterly divine and so rich!

Gee, Jed. We sure have come a long way from the time my Dad would pick up some moonshine from a friend somewhere in Pennsylvania during his return drive after visiting family in NYC. Nevertheless, this does sound like a great marinade and I would love to see some of this chicken on top of a pizza. That sounds really good!

17. Courtney says:

That just looks the perfect amount spicy – a lot – for me!