Thirsty Thursday: Grand Teton Brewing Co. Double Vision Doppelbock

Feb 07, 2013 15 Comments

Thirsty Thursday Grand Teton Brewing Co. Double Vision Doppelbock Review

I’ve been on a beer kick as of late and consequently so has Thirsty Thursday.   But sometimes one simply craves a well crafted or unique brew to pass the time during the cold gray and snowy dog days of winter.

That’s why I’m thankful to our friends at Grand Teton Brewing Co. for the timely release of their latest Cellar Reserve Series beer the Double Vision Doppelbock.

Continuing in the tradition of excellence that the series is known for, the Double Vision strikes a balance of being a hearty yet exceptionally smooth beer ideally suited for the winter months.  Simplistic at its heart, the beer becomes infinitely more interesting with how it interacts with one’s palate and entices their sense of smell.

For starters, Double Vision’s creamy velvety character envelopes and lingers on the palate in such a way that I can honestly say that it’s the most texturally appealing beer that I’ve ever sampled and something that should automatically be on a lager beer lover’s “to buy” list (click here to check availability).

Second, and most interestingly, the essence of what makes the Grand Teton’s beers so special is identifiable on the nose…the water. This pure H2O that emanates from Teton Mountains expresses itself in the beer’s weight and as an almost unrecognizable mystery character pleasantly engaging one’s sense of smell (and this doesn’t mean the beer comes across as watered down).  It all might sound strange, but it’s really an impressive aspect of the Double Vision and another reason the Cellar Reserve continues to be one of the best beer series in America.

Here is my complete review:

Grand Teton Brewing Co. Double Vision Double Bock (8% alc)
Thirsty Thursday Grand Teton Brewing Co. Double Vision Doppelbock ReviewPours a dark and mysterious brown leather color with a minimal creamy coffee like head.  As strange as it might sound, the purity of the water and the beer’s weight is evident on the nose along with dark roasted malts, a subtle sweetness, and hints of coffee. Minimal carbonation on the palate combines with a creamy velvety texture that expands and relaxingly lingers on the back half and through the finish.  It’s clean with flavors of roasting malts and a subtle smokiness that reveals itself every so often.  A serene beer that could even calm the Costanza’s on their worst days.

Retails around $9 for a 750ml

Copyright © sports-glutton.com, 2010-2013. All Rights Reserved. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from sports-glutton.com is strictly prohibited.

Beer, Libations Tags: , , , , , , , ,

15 Responses to “Thirsty Thursday: Grand Teton Brewing Co. Double Vision Doppelbock”

This sounds like a great beer, Jed, one that I’d enjoy.
    Hope you and yours are out of harm’s way when these storms meet up.
    Serenity now. Too funny!

2. Sportschump says:

Great. Now I’m gonna have Foreigner’s “Double Vision” stuck in my head for the rest of the night.

That beer is quite inexpensive. I just love Seinfeld and that’s one of my favourite episodes. I don’t remember how many years it’s been since that episode went live but I’ve been yelling, ‘Serenity Now’ ever since xx

4. Judy @Savoring Today says:

Gotta admit it’s the label that caught my eye. As a lover of all things goat, I would try it for that reason alone. I know, kind of a chick thing to drink something based on the pretty label. 😉

All their labels in this series are unique and eye-catching, but I do particularly like this one. And not a bad thing at all Judy.

Love that Seinfeld episode, thanks! The beer sounds lovely, but today, I’m going to curl up with a lovely glass of wine in front of the fire. We’re being deluged with snow, since around 7pm last night. Not pretty at all.

6. betsyb says:

Serenity now, insanity later…gotta love it…words to live by! This sounds like a wonderful beer to try and we’ve been enjoying so many great beers lately…ahem. I need to be on the lookout and see if we can get this one here. Serenity Now…er…have a good weekend! :)

Hilarious name! Unfortunately one more beer I can only dream of.

8. Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table says:

I love this beer, and not just for the name (though I can’t say it without smiling). :) Good water makes a HUGE difference!

9. The Beer of Lent Part 1: Traditional Doppelbock | Helper Monkey Brews says:

[…] Thirsty Thursday: Grand Teton Brewing Co. Double Vision Doppelbock (sports-glutton.com) […]

10. pdubyah says:

In the unlikely event that we ever get this in New Zealand I can’t wait to taste a beer made with odourless pure water, and marvel in the way that in and of itself it makes the beer what it is. That or I had a beer before I read this and misunderstood.