There are some who would say that one hasn’t lived until they’ve enjoyed a well prepared tartare. From the land or sea the right mix of ingredients can make any tartare the most satisfying of appetizers.
Still there are those of us who crave more from tartare than something “we eat before we eat” (guess the reference) and desire this form of raw deliciousness to be the main course. If you include yourself in this group then the following recipe for Spicy Tuna Tartare Tacos is for you.
There are three primary components to these tacos: First the tartare itself which has multiple levels of flavors on the palate starting with the freshness of the fish, followed by the sweet and tangy marinate, then finishing with the warming heat of sriracha. In the taco itself, the tartare is balanced by a pickled cucumber slaw for topping and avocado slices that line the inside of the taco shells. Add in a few additional condiments like red bell pepper, serrano peppers, and sesame seeds to complete the package and ensure the ultimate level of satisfaction for your mouth.
It’s basically just another form of tartare heaven.
Three Notes for this recipe:
- Either make homemade taco shells or use high quality soft tacos…don’t disrespect $20-30 per lb tuna with stale tacos shells out of a box.
- Lining the taco shells with thinly sliced pieces of avocados is highly recommended as it keeps the crunch factor alive and well. Nobody like a soggy taco.
- The final topping of red bell pepper is also highly recommended if only for a subtle textural addition to the enjoyment of this dish.
Spicy Tuna Tartare
- 10 oz of sushi grade ahi tuna*
- 1 tbsp sesame seed oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp sriracha (hot sauce)
- 1/2 tbsp honey
Pickled Cucumber Slaw
- 3 mini cucumbers
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame seed oil
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- Tacos shells
- Avocado (thinly sliced)
- 1 serrano pepper (thinly sliced)
- Red bell pepper (thinly sliced)
- Sesame seeds
*10 oz of tuna will roughly provide enough tartare for 6-8 tacos…depending on shell size, etc.
First the pickled cucumber slaw…
- Thinly shred your cucumbers over a paper towel. Then use the towel to ring-out the cucumbers’ juices.
- Whisk the remain ingredients for the slaw in a small bowl until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Use your hands to thoroughly combine the cucumber and marinate. Set aside.
Now for the tacos…
- Hack up the tuna into small cubes and toss into a large bowl.
- Line your taco shells with the avocado slices…tricky but necessary.
- When you’re ready to rock-n-roll, whisk up the marinate for the tartare using the remaining ingredients.
- Then pour over the tuna and gently mix together.
- Taco time. Spicy tuna tartare first.
- Bring the heat with a smattering of serrano peppers.
- Pickled cucumber slaw…yes please.
- I little red bell pepper love along with some sesame seeds (not seen here) and you’re ready to chow down.
- Enjoy immediately and savor the flavor.
Copyright © sports-glutton.com, 2010-2013. All Rights Reserved. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from sports-glutton.com is strictly prohibited.