The third installment of the MLB Recipe Series travels to Arizona with a desert inspire cocktail for the Diamondbacks. Combining the watermelon like fruit of a prickly pear (the fruit of cactus), the sweet tropical fruit and citrus flavors of St. Germain, vodka, and a splash of lemon juice this recipe creates a refreshingly balanced martini that’s an ideal form of relaxation on a warm summer’s day. Subtly sweet with an expression of all the flavors previously described, the vodka is hidden in the background and the touch of lemon brightens what is already a surprisingly light cocktail. Who knew cactus could taste this good??
- 3 parts fresh prickly pear juice
- 1 part vodka
- 1 part St. Germain
- squeeze of lemon juice
- First let’s make some prickly pear juice.
- Cut off the ends and slice each piece of fruit in half.
- Peel the skin off the seeded pulp center (should come off easily with ripe fruit).
- Toss the centers into a blender.
- Hit that puree button.
- Separate out the seeds by pouring the juice through a strainer situated over a bowl.
- Use a spatula to encourage all the juice to reach the bowl.
- Under the right light the juice is a vibrant color.
- In a cocktail shaker loaded with ice, combine all the ingredients and shake.
- Pour into a martini glass and enjoy.
Copyright © sports-glutton.com, 2010-2013. All Rights Reserved. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from sports-glutton.com is strictly prohibited.