Arizona Diamondbacks: Prickly Pear Martini

Apr 17, 2013 20 Comments

Major League Baseball Recipes Series Banner

Arizona Diamondbacks Prickly Pear Martini Recipe 4670

The third installment of the MLB Recipe Series travels to Arizona with a desert inspire cocktail for the Diamondbacks.   Combining the watermelon like fruit of a prickly pear (the fruit of cactus), the sweet tropical fruit and citrus flavors of St. Germain, vodka, and a splash of lemon juice this recipe creates a refreshingly balanced martini that’s an ideal form of relaxation on a warm summer’s day.  Subtly sweet with an expression of all the flavors previously described, the vodka is hidden in the background and the touch of lemon brightens what is already a surprisingly light cocktail.  Who knew cactus could taste this good??

• 3 parts fresh prickly pear juice
  • 1 part vodka
  • 1 part St. Germain
  • squeeze of lemon juice

Arizona Diamondbacks Prickly Pear Martini Recipe 4478

• First let’s make some prickly pear juice.

Arizona Diamondbacks Prickly Pear Martini Recipe 4502

• Cut off the ends and slice each piece of fruit in half.

Arizona Diamondbacks Prickly Pear Martini Recipe 4520

• Peel the skin off the seeded pulp center (should come off easily with ripe fruit).

Arizona Diamondbacks Prickly Pear Martini Recipe 4541

• Toss the centers into a blender.

Arizona Diamondbacks Prickly Pear Martini Recipe 4557

• Hit that puree button.

Arizona Diamondbacks Prickly Pear Martini Recipe 4575

• Separate out the seeds by pouring the juice through a strainer situated over a bowl.
  • Use a spatula to encourage all the juice to reach the bowl.

Arizona Diamondbacks Prickly Pear Martini Recipe 4592

• Under the right light the juice is a vibrant color.
  • In a cocktail shaker loaded with ice, combine all the ingredients and shake.

Arizona Diamondbacks Prickly Pear Martini Recipe 4632

• Pour into a martini glass and enjoy.

Copyright © sports-glutton.com, 2010-2013. All Rights Reserved. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from sports-glutton.com is strictly prohibited.

Hard Liquor, Libations, Mixed Drinks, MLB Recipe Series, Slider Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

20 Responses to “Arizona Diamondbacks: Prickly Pear Martini”

1. amy @ fearless homemaker says:

Oh, yum! I love prickly pear in drink recipes but I rarely see it anywhere except Arizona. You have now reminded me how awesome it tastes. I’d love one of these martinis!

2. Giovanna says:

Wow Jed, I didn’t know you were a cocktail kind of man… It looks delicious and refreshing. It is the typical drink that will get you drunk without you even noticing… like sangria 😉
    Thanks for sharing!

What a pretty colour. I have never in my life had a prickly pear. We don’t seem to have them here. I would love to try them and then drink one in a cocktail xx

I continue to think that we should start an exporting biz together Charlie and bring the best of both our worlds to the people!

4. Sportschump says:

Looks great, man.

It’s funny you should bring up pear. I’ve been making pear kamikazes behind the bar lately and they’re friggin’ delicious.

I do find, however, that the Absolut Pearss has a better flavor than the Goose Poire.

I see prickly pears all of the time but never had a reason to buy one. Not anymore! With a brand new bottle of vodka on the bar, it’s time for me to start shopping for prickly pears. Thanks, Jed

6. Mandy - The Complete Cook Book says:

Ooo, I love prickly pears so easy guessing I will love this cocktail.
    :-) Mandy

You know, I have only once tastes the prickly pear and never bought it. Thank you for this wonderful idea! I will remember your drink when I see them next time.

8. Lilly Sue says:

I had a prickly pear martini while I was in San Antonio…so amazing!! I don’t know that I would go through the trouble of making one at home though this makes it look easy :) Glad to have these awesome instructions in case I do!

Hey Lilly Sue…a few extra minutes of prep is all made worth it when you taste the drink. 😉 Cheers!

You had me at Martini! I’ve never had prickly pear, but you have my curiosity piqued. The colour is simply gorgeous (just bought a pair of shoes that colour!). Cheers.

10. Raymund says:

We have a lot of different fruits here but I never heard of this type of pear, looks interesting and love the colors of it on that drink