Holy Deliciousness Batman! That is exactly what was going through our minds while creating this recipe to represent the Chicago White Sox as part of our MLB Recipe Series.
A combination of honoring Chicago’s deep dish pizza, soul food tradition, and the White Sox our “White Chicago Style Pizza” is filled with smoked mozzarella, fresh greens, turkey, sun dried tomatoes, onions, and topped with a garlic parmesan cheese sauce. Unusual yes, but deliciously rich it’s a pizza that can satisfy both die-hard carnivores and those wishing for a more balanced approached to this American staple.
- 1 lb turkey meat (cut into small pieces)
- 1 small onion (roughly chopped)
- ½ cup sun dried tomatoes (thinly sliced)
- 1 bunch swiss card (roughly chopped)
- 1 bunch collard greens (roughly chopped)
- 1/8 lb of smoked bacon (roughly chopped)
- 1/3 lb parmigiano reggiano (grated)
- ½ head of garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 ½ cups non-fat milk
- 4 tbsp bacon fat
- 4 tbsp flour
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper
- White pepper
- Deep Dish Pizza dough (click here for recipe)
- 4-6 ounces smoked mozzarella
*Please note that it is best to use a Deep dish Pizza Dough for this recipe.
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, saute up the swiss chard with a touch of salt and pepper. Remove from heat once the greens have soften and the water has steamed off.
- Replace with the collard greens and cook for less than 5 minutes until bright green. Combine with chard.
- In the same frying pan saute up the onions with a pinch of salt and olive oil.
- Toss in the turkey, sun dried tomatoes, and lightly season with salt and pepper. Cook until turkey is medium and try not to eat all of this filling. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Bacon time…fry it up and set aside.
- Make a roux in a medium sized sauce pan over medium low heat by combining the flour and butter followed by the garlic.
- Whisk in the milk.
- Cheese time…add the parm. Season to taste with white pepper, pepper, and salt.
- Spread your pizza dough in a cake or frying pan. Fill with a layer of smoked mozzarella, the greens, the turkey/onions/sun dried tomatoes mixture and bacon.
Liquify up with the garlic/cheese mixture and top with some additional parmigiano reggiano.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes in a oven at 425 degrees.
- Slice up, serve, and come back for seconds.
Copyright © sports-glutton.com, 2010-2013. All Rights Reserved. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from sports-glutton.com is strictly prohibited.