As gluttonous as this website prefers to be, we acknowledge that time catches up to us all and occasionally there’s a need to find a balance between satisfying one’s taste buds and managing the waste line. Take for example hamburgers, arguably one of the greatest American food creations. The blissful combination of meat, veggies (sometimes optional), sauce, bun, and occasionally even more meat is such a crowd pleaser, just about every food establishment in this country provides some type of burger on their menu.
Because of our prior gluttonous adventures though we’ve learned there are ways recreate the meaty expectations of burgers in healthier forms. Our Grilled Beets Burgers is one such example and the following recipe for Tempeh Burger Sliders is another.
The process starts with steaming slices of tempeh and marinating them in a red wine sauce to create a “meaty” flavor in the soy based product. When grilled or seared the tempeh satisfyingly replaces the ground bovine between the bun while allowing for just as many topping combinations that we’re all use to. In this case I topped our tempeh slider with fresh guacamole, bacon, and caramelized onions…a touch of gluttony in an otherwise healthy burger. Feel free to play around with the toppings and find your own satisfaction zone.
For the Marinate
- 8 oz tempeh (squared into slider sized pieces and sliced to 1/8 inch thickness)
- 1 cup red wine
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp worcestershire
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
For the burgers
- Caramelized onions
- Toasted buns
- Slice the slab of tempeh into thirds. Then slice each third in half through the side so that the two resulting pieces are the same size as the original third, but half the thickness.
- Steam the tempeh for 15-20 minutes and transfer to a flat casserole dish.
- Whisk together the red wine, soy sauce, worcestershire, and hot sauce, then pour over the tempeh.
- Marinate for at least 60 minutes, flipping the tempeh once.
- When you’re ready to eat, sear the both sides of the tempeh in a frying pan or on the grill.
- Construct a slider with a bun, caramelized onions, tempeh, bacon, tempeh, guacamole, and bun.
Copyright © sports-glutton.com, 2010-2014. All Rights Reserved. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from sports-glutton.com is strictly prohibited.