I said: Smoked Pastrami
The wife said: Sauerkraut
I retorted: Grainy mustard
Her words of wisdom: Stromboli
Conclusion: Thank us later
The long and short of this discussion is a recipe that reproduces the tastes of a Jewish Deli Pastrami sandwich with the richness of sautéed onions in a wrapped dough package.
- Store bought or homemade pizza dough
- ½ lb smoke pastrami sliced
- 10oz sauerkraut
- 1 lb smoked paprika sheep’s milk cheese (sliced)
- Whole grain mustard
- Lrg yellow onion
- 1 tbsp butter
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 egg (beaten)
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Allow the dough to come to room temperature and roll out into a long rectangle.
- Spread mustard over ¾ of the dough running lengthwise.
- Top the mustard with ½ of the cheese, followed by a layer of pastrami, sauerkraut, sautéed onions, and then topped with the remainder of cheese.
- Brush the ¼ section of un-topped dough with egg.
- Fold in the short ends of the dough – sort of like tucking in the ends of a burrito. Then roll the dough starting from the side with the topping, so that the egg-washed strip of dough is on the bottom. This will leave you with a long log-shaped form.
- Transfer the stromboli to a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Brush the dough with the remainder of the egg.
- Then make a few slices in the dough to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until bubbly, golden brown, and delicious.
- Slice into rounds and enjoy!
Copyright © sports-glutton.com, 2010-2014. All Rights Reserved. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from sports-glutton.com is strictly prohibited.