Our month long exploration into waffles concludes with a tasty twist to a favorite recipe from last year. As you might recall our Fried Smoked Cheese Polenta Sticks were one of our more memorable creations in 2014, incorporating three cheeses to produce a sensation resembling that of a toasted grilled cheese sandwich. So when contemplating a final recipe for this mini series, it seemed logical to transform our polenta recipe into toasty waffles.
True to form these polenta waffles are as fantastic as envisioned, recreating the “curiously addicting smokey cheesy flavors” from the original recipe. The twist comes from the introduction of harissa which provides an endearing spice element as well as a subtle meaty chili flavor. Satisfying on its own or when topped with a runny egg.
- 3 cups of polenta (cornmeal)
- 6 cups milk
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 lb smoked gouda
- 1/4 lb aged mahon
- 1/4 lb parmesan reggiano
- Salt and pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp – 1/2 cup harissa
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Pour the milk into a large pot over medium heat. Add butter and whisk in the cornmeal.
- Continue to stir until the polenta has thicken.
- Reduce heat, thoroughly stir in cheeses, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and stir in eggs, cornstarch, and baking powder.
- Add harissa to taste.
- Oil or butter waffle iron, pour polenta batter on iron, and cook until browned.
- Enjoy on its own or with a runny egg.
Copyright © sports-glutton.com, 2010-2015. All Rights Reserved. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from sports-glutton.com is strictly prohibited.