Our month long commitment to pumpkin continues this week with a sweet seasonal breakfast treat: Pumpkin Bread Overnight French Toast. Using either homemade (we’ve included our recipe) or store bought pumpkin bread, this casserole dish fuses everything you love about spiced battered bread and the fall pumpkin season.
- 2 loaves pumpkin bread, cooled (recipe below – you can use your own recipe or store bought)
- 1/4 cup (4 tbsp.) butter, melted
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- Demerara sugar (unrefined large grain sugar)
- Combine the brown sugar and melted butter and pour on the bottom of a 9″ x 13″ baking dish and spread around if necessary.
- Slice the pumpkin bread into 1/2-3/4″ thick slices.
- Place the slices into the baking dish, standing up at an angle (not laying flat) and overlapping (will probably fit two rows). There may be extra slices of bread – in other words, a snack for you.
- Beat the eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt together in a separate bowl.
- Pour the mixture over the pumpkin bread, cover with cling wrap, and refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, remove the French toast from the fridge and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- It needs to sit out at room temperature for about 20 minutes before baking so that your dish doesn’t crack in the hot oven.
- Top the French toast with the pumpkin seeds and demerara sugar.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes. The sugar on the bottom needs to be melted and the French toast hot throughout.
Pumpkin Bread Recipe
- 2 c. sugar
- 1 c. butter, melted
- 4 eggs
- 1 15 oz. canned pumpkin (not pie filling)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/2 c. all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1-2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1-2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease two loaf pans.
- Mix together sugar, butter, eggs, pumpkin, water, and vanilla in a large bowl.
- Mix the remaining ingredients in a second bowl.
- Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Divide the mixture into two loaf pans and bake for an hour or until a tooth pick inserted into the center comes out clean. You can start checking on your bread after 45 minutes if your oven runs hot.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
Copyright © sports-glutton.com, 2010-2015. All Rights Reserved. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from sports-glutton.com is strictly prohibited.