Every household is comprised of individual preferences and the Glutton house is no exception. When it comes to nuts, my better half has a weakness for anything pecan while I typically lean towards anything with hazelnuts. In an attempt to find a happy medium of our preferences, while creating an original cognac recipe to conclude 2015, I settled on the following Hazelnut Pecan Cognac Pie recipe.
First off, the pie has a friendly “adult libation” flavor that works extraordinarily well with the pie’s general construction and the roasted hazelnuts and pecans. Second, using pecan halves and finely chopped hazelnuts creates a textural balance in the pie allowing each nut’s flavors to be individually expressed and enjoyed. Top with whipped cream and a touch of orange zest and the result is boozy pecan pie taken to the next level. A pie that even those individuals on the naughty list deserve to enjoy.
- Pre-made or homemade pie crust dough
- 1 ½ cups pecan halves (roasted)
- 1 cup finely chopped hazelnuts (roasted)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- 3 tbsp cognac
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp salt
- Whipped cream
- Orange zest
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and allow the pie crust to come to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs then add corn syrup, sugars, melted butter, cognac, vanilla, and salt. Continue to whisk until thorough smooth.
- Fold in the roasted pecans and hazelnuts, set aside.
- Gently roll the pie crust over your pie baking pan, cutting off any excess around the edges.
- Pour the hazelnut/pecan mixture into the pie shell.
- Place in oven and bake for 45-60 minute or until middle of pie is slightly jiggly.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 3-4 hours.
- Slice and serve with whipped cream and a touch of orange zest.
Copyright © sports-glutton.com, 2010-2015. All Rights Reserved. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from sports-glutton.com is strictly prohibited.