While this recipe deviates from your regularly scheduled gluttonous dish, we hope you enjoy it as much as we do. This salad is hearty, crisp, and refreshing in the dead of winter. We realize some folks may not love kale, especially raw, so feel free to sub another salad green – just don’t massage the dressing into more delicate leaves.
- 2 small/medium sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bunch kale
- 3 carrots
- 2 crisp apples
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Chop the potatoes into bite-sized cubes. Place on a baking sheet and toss with the tablespoon of olive and some salt and pepper.
- Roast, turning once or twice, until the potatoes are soft throughout and caramelized on the outside. About 15-20 minutes – the time depends on your oven and the size of your potato cubes, so check occasionally and cook longer or shorter if necessary.
- To prep the kale, remove the center rib and chop into small pieces or ribbons. Place in a large bowl.
- Using a vegetable peeler, cut the carrot into thin strips. Set aside.
- Cut the the apple and avocado and set aside.
- We mix our dressing by shaking the ingredients in a covered jar. If you plan to do the same, place the olive oil, vinegar, mustards, honey, and salt and pepper in a jar. Seal the jar and shake until well combined. If you are whisking the dressing together in a bowl, combine the vinegar, mustards, honey, and salt and pepper and whisk together. Then slowly drizzle in the olive as you whisk the dressing until thoroughly combined.
- Pour half of the dressing onto the kale. Using your hands, lightly massage the dressing into all the leaves. You will notice that the kale leaves will soften and the color will change slightly.
- Top with the carrots, apples, avocado, and almonds. Serve the rest of the dressing on the side (or if you are like us, pour the rest on and give it all a good toss). Enjoy!
Copyright © sports-glutton.com, 2010-2016. All Rights Reserved. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from sports-glutton.com is strictly prohibited.